As part of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) commitment to decrease the hours and dollars clinicians and providers spend on CMS-mandated compliance and increase the proportion of tasks that CMS customers can do digitally, a new web portal will be made available to submit a Medicare Cost Report (MCR). Specifically, Part A providers will have the option to electronically transmit their MCR through the Medicare Cost Report e-Filing (MCReF) system. MCReF will be available for cost reporting periods ending on or after December 31, 2017.
Part A providers will experience the following benefits from using MCReF:
- Large provider chain organizations will electronically submit MCRs to one system instead of transmitting their MCRs to their assigned Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) jurisdiction’s portals or physical mailing addresses;
- A MCR submitted through MCReF will be automatically directed to the correct MAC eliminating the risk of submitting the MCR to an incorrect MAC;
- Providers will receive immediate feedback on the submission accuracy of their MCR;
- Providers will save time compiling the paperwork (files) needed to create electronic media and mail the MCR package;
- Providers will have until 11:59 p.m., eastern time, on the due date to submit the MCR instead of having to obtain a postmark date no later than the due date;
- MCReF has a simple, straightforward user interface with just one screen; and
- Reduces provider confusion due to conflicting MAC acceptability rules.
We encourage providers to continue to monitor CMS’ website or their assigned MAC’s website for more detailed information on the MCReF in the coming months. Find more Insurance detail here.